March 11, 2011

Breathing Underwater

During my sophomore year of high school I was in an Honors English class.  My teacher was not always the most profound individual and occasionally bordered on crazy.  My friend Claire and I were in the class together and would always talk about what crazy things would happen.  One of our topics of study was the classic medieval poem Beowulf:  
Teacher: "What are some of the supernatural elements in the story?"

Me: "Breathing underwater" (in the poem, Beowulf falls down a lake for hours and then fights a monster with a sword that suddenly appears in the underwater cave)

Teacher: "No, not really.  That wouldn't be considered supernatural.  Supernatural things are things that would require magic, are unusual and cannot be explained."

Oh I forgot.  Breathing underwater for hours and not dying doesn't require magic.  My bad.  This same teacher also said on a different occasion that you don't learn anything in college and that you don't need to study for finals because you already know everything from the class.

Public education at its finest.

1 comment:

  1. You are awesome! Love your title - the real thing is in my house! I'm famous! congrats on getting the blog up and running.I can't believe you started with a Paula Stiff memoir - I bet you are surprised I even remembered her name. Beautiful background - just like Sharon's! love it. I offered to share my lip gloss in the car today before we went shopping and was rejected - of course, I live with all boys now.

    ReplyDelete